Monday, 12 September 2011

FM2011 - LLM Beginner Tactics Part 1 - Formation

Today I'm going to talk about tactics for lower league teams. The key to a successful tactic for a poor technical team is to keep it simple, so I always start with a standard 4-4-2 formation:

Football Manager 2011 4-4-2 Formation

I then set one of my central midfielders to a defensive role and the other to attacking. Most of your players will be lacking any decent technical or mental skills so you want them to stick to their positions and roles, this is how I setup my team instructions:

Football Manager 2011 Team Instructions

As you can see I've told my team to play a direct 'hoofball' game with little creative freedom and roaming from positions. This will ensure that your player will be in the right place at the right time more often than not and prevent your oppostion a free run on goal. The idea of playing direct is that your players will not be good on the ball and if they try and play it around the back they are going to make some critical mistakes eventually.

Thats it for now, as I said keep the tactics simple to start with and once your team gets a good understanding of how to play you can start tweaking things here and there. More tactics tips to follow!

Once you're set up you can move on to the other parts of my beginner tactics here:
Football Manager 2011 LLM Beginner Tactics Part 2 Corners
Football Manager 2011 LLM Beginner Tactics Part 3 Free Kicks

16 comments:

  1. Hey, can you add me on msn? i need to talk to you.

    Prollmann241@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that strategy next time I play. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoofball, eh? You must be an Englishman! lol... i prefer the technical, on the ground style of the Spaniards, but to each their own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great, as a good game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah probably that tactic is the best one to use if you have midfielders that can move back and forth easily without getting tired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey nice game, thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes... the old english tactic, "just kick the ball forward", lol!

    It's kinda what Liverpool did in the eighties, tried and true! A team that plays like that is either a never ending attacking wave, or is destroyed by an enemy that depends on passing and technique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool info!!
    Come check me out =) alphabetalife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete